I had someone writing me asking me for ideas for their facility’s activities calendar. Although I am not an administrator, or an activities coordinator, I would like to offer some ideas of things that you could put on your activities roster. I found a few calendars from various facilities online, and have included some of those ideas in here as well:
* Book and Coffee Club – Reading is one of the things people can do even though they might have a physical limitation, and discussing a book over coffee is a great way to have subject matter for a conversation!
* Worship Services – These don’t have to just fall on Sunday. You can do a worship service any day of the week, and it is another good excuse to get residents together.
* Movie Night – Who doesn’t like a good movie? A great way to save money is to have a Netflix account, and you could have each resident add to the queue of movies to be watched!
* How about manicures and pedicures? I think even the men in the facility might enjoy this!
* Exercise Classes – There are so many different types of exercise classes and programs that you could offer to your residents. Even those confined to a wheelchair could do plenty of exercises from their chair. “Chairrobics” is a term I saw on one calendar.
* How about a wine tasting and seminar?
* Bingo is a good standby!
* Computer courses or classes are a great activity as many of our seniors are becoming computer saavy, or are wanting to. Most assisted living facilities have internet or wireless capability, and knowing how to use a computer will help your residents stay connected to friends and family.
These are just a few ideas. I hope that anyone with ideas for an activity calendar not mentioned here will add a comment!